The Hanover Market House began as an open air building on center square in downtown. Built in 1815, this early market building featured the town's only jail cell, which was in the ground. You can only imagine how a stay in that cell would have been. This covered building was thought to be a covered bridge by Civil War solders, and they rode through it as they came through town. By 1872, the building was considered an eyesore, and was sold to Cyrus Diller for $42 dollars.
For a time, the Hanover Opera House, on West Chestnut Street, doubled as a market house. After holding market sessions on the ground floor of the Opera House, Hanover's market took the form of a curb market on the square and on East Walnut Street. In 1933 the current brick building was erected to replace a dance hall that was attracting an unsavory crowd. For around $15,000 the property, building and fixtures of the current building was constructed.
For nearly 90 years the current East Chestnut Street building has been greeting local and non local customers.
Stop and visit and be apart of our history spanning over two centuries.